Torn Muscle Persistent Pain


I am a 31 year old female. I'm 5'7" tall and weigh 124 pounds

I have always been very flexible and athletic. I biked, walked and did stretches almost every day.

One day two years ago I did the splits as I have done for as long as I can remember without injury, but on this day I tore a muscle at the back of my leg, or so my doctor said.

He told me this would take a long time to heal and to use hot and cold packs and stop doing stretches with that leg etc.

I did this for about a year but was getting upset with the lack of activity so started stretching and working out again with that leg

Still I have horrible pain from the back of my buttocks to the back of my knee. It used to just be in the back of my buttocks and upper thigh.

For the past 3 months it has gone further down my leg. I have asked my doctor for help on what I should do, he says to stay off it and give it time.

He also says if it goes down into my ankle to come back right away. I feel frustrated. I need help. What exercises can I do to help this problem with my leg?

When I walk on it, it hurts, when I stay off it it hurts. But it hurts most of all when I sit for long periods of time. Something you should probably know is I have poor circulation. I hope you can help.

Answered By:

Mike Behnken, MS, CSCS ANswers the Fitness Question


Sorry to hear about your situation but there is nothing I can say without a proper diagnosis and even then it is well beyond my ability or any other professional as a personal fitness trainer to treat or diagnose something like this, which sounds pretty serious.

It may be sciatica due to tight hamstrings or piriformis from lack of activity and bad posture while you were sedentary but that is just an extremely wild guess.

The best piece of advice I can give you is to make an appointment to see a sports medicine physician (sports doctor) who is qualified to diagnose musculoskeletal injuries. You may need to have surgery. If blood flow is not getting to the damaged tissues due to your poor circulation there may be some serious complications.

The bottom line is sounds like it is getting worse before it's getting better so it's necessary to see a specialist.
Make that appointment with the specialist and find out what's really wrong if anything for piece of mind.

Related Physical Fitness Info

  • Learn How to Correct Bad Posture - If you have muscle imbalances you can develop out of alignment joints which cause posture problems which cause many problems with your physical health.

Back to Personal Trainer Q & A

blog comments powered by Disqus